Saturday, August 20, 2011

WYD in 17103 - Part 12 - Question, questions, questions? Answers!


Are you going with Ann?

You are leaving your wife go to Europe alone?

Why don't you want to go?

Will you survive at home without Ann around?

The sun has set and night has blanketed Madrid and the ones closet to me. My day started out with a call from Ann. She indeed figured it all out. That plus her inate ability to touch people by using her 'Holy Boldness' as Fr Hauf used to call it. She indeed figured it out.

Ann decided that in order to protect those with her she would get up early and leave for the final destination long before anyone else did. Now here is where the 'Holy Boldness' comes in. Ann wasn't only satisified with beating the crowd she want to get as close as she could without walking several miles in the late summer Spain heat. So, she employed her talent of talking with total strangers and making them fell like family and found a way to not only get close to the venue but she got dropped of at the main gate. Prayer and 'Holy Boldness' do indeed work. Not only did Ann, Rebecca and Micah benefit from this but the entire St Margaret Mary contingent followed along once the leader of the group saw the plan unfold and develop before her eyes. Doing this was extremely wise because when Ann called to tell me of the successful mission she said the afternoon temperature there was 45-degree Celcius. A quick math computation later reveals that it was 113-degrees there. ONE-HUNDRED-THIRTEEN, sweat producing, skin burning, strength zapping, clothes soaking, rash creating, uncomfortable, down right nasty and unbearable degrees. The people in charge were spraying the crowd with fire hoses. In less than an hours time everyone was dry and looking for more. Ann et el took their umbrellas with them in case of rain. She said they were using them to create shade. For those of you who thought I married her just for her beauty, think again!

Back to the questions that to this time I have not answered. It's obvious that I am not did not and never wanted to go with Ann to WYD. Travel like that just isn't me. Nor for me. Doesn't mean I wouldn't or couldn't do it some time in the future, I just can't imagine the circumstance that would stir me to do it.

Yes and no to the leaving Ann go alone. Yes because I know how much she wanted to go to something like this. Ann never asked to go nor did she say, "I'm going." When I heard the youth group was going via the diocese, I said, "If you ever want to do something like this, now is the time." The rest as they say is history. So she wouldn't be alone I saw to it that Rebecca and Micah were along also.

Why don't you want to go? I have a real tough time being strapped inside a cylindrical tube and sent zipping through the upper levels of the Earth's atmosphere at hundreds of miles per hour to get anywhere. The only exception I'll make to that is if God says that's how He's transporting me to Heaven then I'm in. Until then I'll blog from 17103. When my brother heard about the trip he deadpanned, "That's along way to go just to go to church." He also reminded us that there is a KFC and a Burger King within 2-miles of our house. They did not have to go to Madrid for a leg, a wing, a breast and two sides or a Whooper with fries. Sort of how I feel too.

I did survive without Ann being home. It wasn't easy. All those things that she does that were left for me to do or were left to go undone are more meaningful, more noticeable and more appreciated than ever before. Seth and I have gotten along wonderfully these past two weeks. Even at that he is showing signs of missing Micah and Ann. The thing I missed most was her presence. Just being there. That feeling of closeness when she'll just come in and sit while we watch a ball game. The joy of sharing a trip for coffee, trekking to the grocery store or mowing a lawn together.

As mentioned before I have come to understand the perfect plan God has for us within the marriage covennent. The labor required to have a home, raise a family or parent your parents is greatly reduced and much easier to share when there are two of you pulling together. Not just two random people but a man and a woman committed to each other and to each others dreams and desires.

I am glad she went but gladder still that she's coming home. - DD


No comments:

Post a Comment