Thursday, August 11, 2011

WYD 2011 in 17103 - Part 2 "Bark-in-the-Park"



I made it through the night. Immediately upon wake-up I checked flight tracker to find that prayer is answered and the plane made it. That's not unlike the hundreds of other planes that crossed the Atlantic yesterday but British Airway Flight 228 carried the most important cargo in the world, to me any ways. I guess that my view of 35,000 foot vapor trails has changed as I now fully under stand the value and importance of the contents of the aircraft creating those trails. Maybe not so directly to me but to someone else who cares as much about the contents as I did about the contents of BAW Flight 228. My next mission, and I have chosen to accept it, is to safely get BAW Flight 374 from London to Toulouse. As I write this it is less than an hour to take off so I must hurry as I'll be really busy very soon.

And now a note about what going on with Seth and me at 17103. After the departure we came home and I milled the tomato sauce I'd started to cook down yesterday. It smelled wonderful! It has become a tradition to make enough sauce to last until it's all gone. Making it fills our house with the incense of love, of late summer, of the coming Autumn, of family times gathered around a bowl of Angel Hair pasta and of good eating. After watching the Phillies overcome a six run deficit, through both open and shut eyelids, we went went to the Senators game using some gift tickets. I enjoy going to see the team but this year so far has been the pits as far as having a good experience at the ballpark.

Our first trip there was a mid-week day game in May. It happened to be the day that 137,289 school kids cut class (legally under the ruse of an educational field trip) to sit in the row behind me and scream non-stop at the top of their little 'nails-on-a-blackboard' adolescence voices. My second trip was a night game in June which was actually very pleasant until the sun went down and the mayflies from the Susquehanna River filled the air as snowflakes due during a January blizzard. It was so bad that the next day I found may flies in my armpits and under my toe nails. Game three was once again a freebie for me as a friend gave me four seats for a July afternoon game. The seats were on the left field foul line, unshaded and close to baseball most exciting minor league player Bryce Harper. Have I mentioned that at the noon start time it was already 93-degrees. Did mention that Bryce Harper did not play. Did I mention that the temperature rose to as high as 97-degrees. Did I mention that Hershey's ice cream make a really good icepop.

So, last night Seth and I go to the Metro Bank park once again. School is out so there should be no screamers or foot stompers. It's mid-August so the mayflies should be gone for the summer. It's a night game, game time temp is 77. Delightful! Only, it's "Bark-in-the-Park" night! And bark they did. Only those of you who truly know me can share in the excitement I had to be there. As the pet owners paraded around the stadium struttin' their stuff I was 'entertained' by countless outbreaks of alpha-dogs claiming their territories by snarling, barking wildly and stretching their leashes to the snapping point. During the game the Senators kept promoting a game in early September when "Cowboy Monkeys on Dogs" would be their for our entertainment. Guess I'm destined to be there. - DD

No comments:

Post a Comment