Friday, December 2, 2011

First Week of Advent - Saturday



The first week of Advent hastily comes to a close today. As I continue to wait for the coming of the Christ Child my excitement is only tempered by my link to the mortal binds of time. Cast upon the essence of time itself, twenty-eight days is nothing more than the blinking of an eye. As I sit near the entrance of a twenty-eight daylong tunnel the end seems to be light years away and out of sight. Why do I feel so out of sorts?

God understand this. He understands my anxiety. He lets me know He understands it and then encourages me to be patient.

James 5:7-8

New International Version (NIV)

Patience
7 Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. 8 You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near.

I am very impatient. I live in a very impatient world. Instant gratification, that's what I want. That's what I demand. That's not what I need. God knows that. When he designed the world He did it so that His people would come to know patience. Would come to know waiting and come to know anticipation. Crops take time to grow. Seasons take months to change. New life takes time to develop before its birth.

It is only through these things, patients, waiting and anticipation that I garner a full value and love for what ever it is I long for. If I got everything the moment I wanted it, it's value to me would be cheapened. While waiting for something oft times my heart will burn with desire. That is good. Think about the last time you were away from home and could wait to get back.

It's that same desire I have now in this Advent season for the coming of the Lord. I wait and my heart burns for the Christ Child. I wait and burn for my Redeemer. As I wait, I am encouraged. Be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near.

Praise be to God for the gift of patients. For the gift of anticipation. For the gift of waiting. For without these gifts my heart would never know the joy of the eventuality. The Lord is coming and the Lord is coming back. Praise be to God. Amen - DD


Here is one of my favorite song by Rich Mullins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Q3vA2tuG0

So I'm waiting for You Jesus
'Cause I know that those who wait
They will mount with wings like eagles
They will run and not grow faint
They will walk and not grow weary
Their strength will be renewed
Coming from You

So I wait
I'm waiting for You
Waiting for You
So come back soon
I'm waiting for You

No comments:

Post a Comment