Friday, December 2, 2011

First Week of Advent - Friday


Today a familiar Psalm is brought into the Advent Celebration. David has such a way with words, words that flow from deep within his heart. Words like David's just are not written but are rather the fruit of a deep love for the one for which they are written. Relax now and let David's words touch you as we wait for the Christ Child.




Psalm 27

Of David.

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When the wicked advance against me to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.

4 One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me;
at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, LORD; be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
Your face, LORD, I will seek. 9 Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, God my Savior.
10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.
11 Teach me your way, LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me,
spouting malicious accusations.

13 I remain confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

David begins by making a statement about who the Lord is and what He means to him. Being David's light the Lord is David's everything. Without light there is only darkness and darkness is nothingness and fear. David address that when he says, "the Lord is the stronghold of my life".

David next lets us know that he is confident that because of his relationship with the Lord that he will always be protected and cared for. What peace that brings to one's soul. Right now I have two new born granddaughters and their very existence is built on the premise that someone greater than them will be there to protect them and keep them safe. I truly understand what David is speaking of when he writes these words.

Next I believe David addresses the fact that he can get in the way of the relationship he has with the Lord. He asks the Lord to be merciful, to not reject him and not to forsake him when he stumbles. He cries out for the Lord to not only stay with him but to also "teach me you way and make straight my paths". How many times I have called out with those word.

And now the Advent tie in. We will see the goodness of the Lord as we wait for His coming as the Christ Child and as the Bridegroom returning for His bride. We will be confident in His coming. His coming to our seasonal celebrations, His coming to our families, His coming to our world and most important His coming to dwell in our hearts.

Turn David's words into something powerful now by reading them to yourself again but this time read them out loud. Then do it again, louder with more conviction. Then stand up and read them out loud again. Come quickly Lord! Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD. - DD

No comments:

Post a Comment