Friday, August 30, 2019

Dan You Have Cancer - Chemo vs Immuno


Allow me to explain. Chemotherapy is defined as; the treatment of disease by the use of chemical substances, especially the treatment of cancer by cytotoxic and other drugs. Cytotoxic refers being toxic to living cells. So there you have it. At its basic, rudimentary level the chemicals in chemotherapy kills living cells. The human body, my human body, is comprised of trillions of living cells. When I have chemotherapy I am actually volunteering to have someone stick a needle in me to kill me. It’s a controlled kill but a kill none the less.


Immunotherapy is a type of cancer treatment that energizes one’s immune system to fight cancer. My immune system helps me fight infections and other diseases. The immune system is made up of white blood cells and the organs and tissue of the lymph system. That’s lymph not nymph. Nymph is a mythological spirit of nature imagined as a beautiful maiden inhabiting rivers, woods and other locations. When one fully understands the lymph system it may border on the mythological but it is definitely for real. My creator thought of everything when he made me.

Chemotherapy destroys all new cell creation in my body. Especially fast growing cells. This is why my hair fell out, scalp, beard, eye brows, chest, legs, you name the place, hair fell out. Only my arms seemed to retain any amount of hair that was worthwhile. God tells me in Luke 12:7 that “even the hairs on your head are numbered and that I am worth more than many sparrows”. For several months at the start of 2019 God’s job got somewhat easier as He had no hairs on my head to number. Now that I think about it there were more sparrows around my feeders during that time. Hmmm!

Red blood cells are also fast growing. That fact coupled with the knowledge that I had cancer in my bones was why I became extremely anemic during my 18 weeks of chemotherapy. My hemoglobin levels were in the Bear Market trend of downward from the very beginning. After two rounds my count was down to 9-plus on a scale where 14 is considered to be good. Next three rounds the count went into the danger zones of 7.7, 7.4 and 7.2. This meant I was ANEMIC. These readings brought a new course, a non-elective core course of course, Cancer 106 – Blood Transfusions, towards my degree in medical science. I affectionately called these days Blood Getting Days. Two units of blood would bump me up two points to 9+ but that would start to diminish as soon as they pulled the needle from my port as my body was still filled with enough chemo to choke a horse. Ann says it brought color back to my checks and I was ‘perkier’ so I believe those long sessions were worthwhile.

In a nutshell chemotherapy is the Great Destroyer. It does not distinguish bad from good. It seeks out and destroys all. Not some but ALL. I was only allowed to have six three-day sessions of chemo. Maybe chemo should be called ‘killmo’ since that is what it does. However, if part of me has to die in order for me to live, then whether it is ‘killmo’ or chemo pump it in to me. It’s sort of what God asks me to do. Part of me has to die in order to achieve eternal life. My earthly sinful nature must die by turning it over to God, in order to obtain eternal life. Once my sins are covered by the blood of Jesus they cannot be seen by the Father.

The Immunotherapy I take is a drug called Tecentriq (atezolizumab). My immune system is a collection of specialized organs and cells that protect me against infections and disease. A protein found on many cells can allow cancer cells to hide from my immune system. Tecentriq strips this protein from the cancer cells enabling my immune system to fight and kill the cancer cells. I know it works because my jaw tumor did not change until after I started Tecentriq. Additionally, when I have a treatment every three weeks it takes me seven to ten days to recover from the battle that ranges inside of me.

Since the cancer stripped the calcium from my bones combined with the wide range of places where the cancer attacked my bone I get a bone strengthening shot every six weeks. This drug is Xgeva (denosumab). It has a specific job, it helps my bones. It does come with a price however. The injection hurts like crap. Once in my body and active I ache as if I had the flu for several days. Bones hurt. Joints hurt. My energy is sapped. I am not complaining. If these are the steps I need to take to continue waking up every morning then a few days of discomfort every three weeks is a small price to pay and welcomed.

I promised myself from the beginning that I was going to share all that I go through not for sympathy sake but rather for the edification of those around me. For those that are praying for me you will know the specific things for which prayer is needed. For those, like myself, who had friends with cancer but never knew or understood the process because facts were never shared, I hope that my frankness is lifting that veil.

I do not fear cancer. It has brought me more blessings and closer to God than anything I have ever experienced. I am grateful for that. Now that I am in the fight I will not back down. I will battle every day to keep cancer down, to control cancer, to eradicate cancer from my body. I can only do that with the help of your prayers, the love of God and the peace I have about my future. In Billy Graham’s book “Angels: God’s Secrete Agents”, he writes:

They (angels) were commissioned not only to bar man’s return into Eden, but with “a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life” (Genesis 3:24) lest Adam by eating of its fruit should live forever. If Adam had lived in his sin forever – this earth would long ago have been hell. Thus, in one sense death is a blessing to the human race.

Because of cancer I am able to see the everlasting truth in words such as these. Thanks be to God! Every day I fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment